The top 100 serial killers by ongoing public fascination as denoted by average number of global Google searches per month in the last 12 months:
1) Charles Manson is not included as he is deemed a cult leader (who never did the killing himself) & the crimes made in his name are deemed spree killings more than serial offences… were he included he’d go straight in at #1 with 823,000 searches per month.
2) [Peter Sutcliffe] and [Yorkshire Ripper] whilst describing the same person they are listed as separate search terms – collectively they’d attain 48,600.
3) Ted Kaczynski is excluded because he is deemed a domestic terrorist, not a serial killer – despite killing in a serial fashion he is not per say considered a serial killer for our purposes.
Top 100 Serial Killers by Public Interest
Representation by nation of birth – where offender is known only:
- Ted Bundy ?? 550,000. Ted Bundy was born November 24, 1946, in Burlington, Vermont. In the 1970s, he raped and murdered young women in several states. He was connected to at least 36 murders, but some thought he had committed one hundred or more. He was executed in Florida’s electric chair in 1989.Ted Bundy Victims List by State- WASHINGTON:
Lonnie Trumbull; Seattle (6/23/66)
Kathy Devine; Seattle (11/25/73)
Lynda Ann Healy; University of Washington (2/1/74)
Donna Manson; Evergreen St. College, Olympia (3/12/74)
Susan Rancourt; Central Washington St. College, Ellensburg (4/17/74)
Brenda Baker; Seattle (5/25/74)
Brenda Ball; Burien (6/1/74)
Georgeann Hawkins; University of Washington (6/11/74)
Janice Ott; Lake Sammamish St. Park (7/14/74)
Denise Naslund; Lake Sammamish St. Park (7/14/74)OREGON:
Kathy Parks; Oregon St. (5/6/74)UTAH:
Nancy Wilcox; (10/2/74)
Melissa Smith; Midvale (10/18/74)
Laura Aimee; Lehi (10/31/74)
Debbie Kent; Bountiful (11/8/74)
Susan Curtis; Brigham Young University (6/28/75)
Nancy Baird; Layton (7/4/75)
Debbie Smith; Salt Lake City (2/?/76)COLORADO:
Caryn Campbell; Aspen (1/12/75)
Julie Cunningham; Vail (3/15/75)
Denise Oliverson; Grand Junction (4/6/75)
Melanie Cooley; Nederland (4/15/75)
Shelley Robertson; Golden (7/1/75)IDAHO:
Lynette Culver; Pocatello (5/6/75)
Jane Doe; Boise (9/21/74)FLORIDA:
Lisa Levy; Tallahassee (1/15/78)
Margaret Bowman; Tallahassee (1/15/74)
Kimberly Ann Leach; Lake City (2/9/78)
- Jeffrey Dahmer ?? 450,000. Jeffrey Dahmer, an American serial killer and sex offender, was born on May 21, 1960. Between the years of 1978 and 1991, Dahmer murdered 17 males. Rape, dismemberment, necrophilia, and cannibalism were involved in his murders. Date of arrest: July 22, 1991. Sentenced to 15 life terms, totalling 957 years in prison, in Wisconsin on February 15, 1992. Sentenced to life in prison in Ohio in May 1992. He was beaten to death on November 28, 1994 by an inmate at the Columbia Correctional Institution, where he had been incarcerated. Victims: Stephen Hicks, 19, Steven Tuomi, 26, James “Jamie” Doxtator, 14, Richard Guerrero, 25, Anthony Sears, 26, Eddie Smith, 36, Ricky Beeks, 27, Ernest Miller, 22, David Thomas, 23, Curtis Straughter, 19, Errol Lindsey, 19, Tony Hughes, 31, Konerak Sinthasomphone, 14, Matt Turner, 20, Jeremiah Weinberger, 23, Oliver Lacy, 23 & Joseph Bradehoft, 25.
- Zodiac Killer 450,000. The Zodiac Killer was a serial killer who operated in northern California in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The killer’s identity remains unknown. The Zodiac murdered victims in Benicia, Vallejo, Lake Berryessa, and San Francisco between December 1968 and October 1969. Loading ...
- Jack the Ripper 368,000. Jack the Ripper is the best-known name given to an unidentified serial killer generally believed to have been active in the largely impoverished areas in and around the Whitechapel district of London in 1888. Loading ...
- Ed Gein ?? 246,000. Edward Theodore Gein was an American murderer and body snatcher. His crimes gathered widespread notoriety after authorities discovered that Gein had exhumed corpses from local graveyards and fashioned trophies and keepsakes from their bones and skin.
- John Wayne Gacy ?? 246,000. John Wayne Gacy Jr. was an American serial killer and rapist. He sexually assaulted, tortured and murdered at least 33 teenaged boys and young men between 1972 and 1978.
- Aileen Wuornos ?? 201,000. Aileen Carol Wuornos Pralle (February 29, 1956 – October 9, 2002) was an American serial killer who murdered seven men in Florida between 1989 and 1990.
- Richard Ramirez ?? 165,000. Ramirez was an American serial killer, rapist, and burglar. His home invasion crime spree terrorized the greater Los Angeles and San Francisco areas, from June 1984 until August 1985. He was dubbed the “Night Stalker”. He used a variety of weapons: handguns, knives, a machete, a tire iron, and a hammer. Ramirez, an avowed Satanist, never expressed any remorse for his crimes. The judge who upheld his thirteen death sentences remarked that Ramirez’s deeds exhibited “cruelty, callousness, and viciousness beyond any human understanding”. He died of complications from B-cell lymphoma while awaiting execution on California’s death row.
- Albert Fish ?? 110,000. Hamilton Howard “Albert” Fish was an American serial killer. He was also known as the Gray Man, the Werewolf of Wysteria, the Brooklyn Vampire, the Moon Maniac, and The Boogey Man.
- Richard Kuklinski ?? 60,500. Kuklinski was an American mobster and contract killer who was convicted of murdering five people, though he likely killed at least several dozen more.
- Gary Ridgway ?? 49,500. He was initially convicted of 48 separate murders and is presumed to be responsible for more than 90. As part of his plea bargain, an additional conviction was added, bringing the total number of convictions to 49 – the most prolific American serial killer in history according to confirmed murders.
- Andrei Chikatilo ?? 49,500. The joint most searched for non-American serial killer in history Chikatilo is remembered for his high body count and highly erratic performances in a cage in court once he was eventually caught, tried and shot in the side of the head.
- Dennis Rader ?? 49,500. Dennis Lynn Rader is an American serial killer who murdered ten people in Sedgwick County, Kansas between 1974 and 1991. He is also known as the BTK Killer or the BTK Strangler.
- Myra Hindley ?? 49,500. The Moors murders were carried out by Ian Brady and Myra Hindley between July 1963 and October 1965, in and around Manchester, England. The victims were five children aged between 10 and 17—Pauline Reade, John Kilbride, Keith Bennett, Lesley Ann Downey and Edward Evans—at least four of whom were sexually assaulted.
- Harold Shipman ?? 40,500. On 31 January 2000, a jury found Shipman guilty of fifteen murders. He was sentenced to life imprisonment with the recommendation that he never be released. The Shipman Inquiry identified 218 victims and estimated his total victim count at 250, about 80% of whom were women.
- David Berkowitz ?? 40,500. David Richard Berkowitz (born Richard David Falco; June 1, 1953), known also as the Son of Sam and the .44 Caliber Killer, is an American serial killer who pled guilty to eight separate shooting attacks that began in New York City during the summer of 1976. The crimes were perpetrated with a .44 caliber Bulldog revolver. He killed six people and wounded seven others by July 1977. As the number of victims increased, Berkowitz eluded the biggest police manhunt in the history of New York City while leaving letters that mocked the police and promised further crimes, which were highly publicized by the press. The killing spree terrorized New Yorkers and achieved worldwide notoriety.Loading ...
- Edmund Kemper ?? 40,500. Edmund Emil Kemper III (born December 18, 1948) is an American serial killer who committed the abduction and murder of several women in the early 1970s, as well as the murders of his paternal grandparents and his mother. He regularly engaged in necrophilia and confessed to consuming the flesh of at least one of his victims, but later retracted this confession.
- Henry Lee Lucas ?? 40,500. Henry Lee Lucas (August 23, 1936 – March 12, 2001) was an American serial killer. Despite claiming to have killed over 3000 people, Lucas was only convicted of murdering 11; his confessions often contained inconsistencies or improbable logistics. Despite this, hundreds of cold cases were attributed to him and subsequently closed.Loading ...
- Peter Manuel ?? 40,500. Peter Thomas Anthony Manuel (13 March 1927 – 11 July 1958) was an American-Scottish serial killer who was convicted of murdering a total of seven people across Lanarkshire and southern Scotland between 1956 and his arrest in January 1958, and is believed to have murdered two more, nine in all.
- Peter Sutcliffe ?? 40,500. Peter Sutcliffe is an English serial killer who was dubbed the “Yorkshire Ripper” by the press. In 1981, Sutcliffe was convicted of murdering thirteen women and attempting to murder seven others.
- Rodney Alcala ?? 40,500. Rodney James Alcala is a convicted rapist and serial killer. He was sentenced to death in California in 2010 for five murders committed in that state between 1977 and 1979.
- Ian Brady ?? 40,500. Ian Brady and Myra Hindley tortured then murdered five children in the mid-60s, burying their bodies on Saddleworth Moor.
- John Christie ?? 40,500. Born 8 April 1899. John Reginald Halliday Christie, known to his family and friends as Reg Christie, was an English serial killer active during the 1940s and early 1950s.
- Ivan Milat ?? 33,100. Born 27 December 1944. The backpacker murders were a spate of serial killings that took place in New South Wales, Australia, between 1989 and 1993, committed by Ivan Milat.
- Charles Sobhraj ?? 33,100. Charles Sobhraj (born 6 April 1944), also known as the Bikini Killer, is a French serial killer of Vietnamese and Indian origin, who preyed on Western tourists throughout Southeast Asia during the 1970s.
- Fred West ?? 33,100. West (29 September 1941 – 1 January 1995) was an English serial killer who committed at least 12 murders between 1967 and 1987 in Gloucestershire, the majority with his second wife, Rosemary West. All the victims were young women. Fred West asphyxiated himself while on remand at HM Prison Birmingham on 1 January 1995.
- Robert Hansen ??33,100. Robert Christian Hansen (February 15, 1939 – August 21, 2014), known in the media as the “Butcher Baker”, was an American serial killer. Between 1971 and 1983, Hansen abducted, raped and murdered at least 17, and possibly more than 30 women, in and around Anchorage, Alaska, hunting them down in the woods with a Ruger Mini-14 and other weapons. He was arrested and convicted in 1983 and was sentenced to 461 years with no possibility of parole.
- Ottis Toole ?? 27,100. Ottis Elwood Toole (March 5, 1947 – September 15, 1996) was an American drifter who was convicted of six counts of murder. Like his companion Henry Lee Lucas, Toole made confessions he later recanted, but which resulted in murder convictions. The discrediting of the case against Lucas for crimes in which Toole had offered corroborating statements created doubts as to whether either was a genuine serial killer or both were merely compliant interviewees whom police used to clear unsolved murders from the books. Toole received two death sentences, but on appeal they were commuted to life imprisonment. He died in his cell from cirrhosis, aged 49.
- Steve Wright ?? 27,100. Steven Gerald James Wright (born 24 April 1958) is an English serial killer, also known as the Suffolk Strangler and the Ipswich Ripper. He is serving life imprisonment for the murder of five women who worked as sex workers in Ipswich, Suffolk. The killings took place during the final months of 2006, and Wright was found guilty in February 2008.
- David Parker Ray ?? 27,100. David Parker Ray (November 6, 1939 – May 28, 2002), also known as the Toy-Box Killer, was a suspected American serial killer, and known torturer of women.
- Arthur Shawcross ?? 22,200. Arthur John Shawcross (June 6, 1945 – November 10, 2008), also known as the Genesee River Killer, was an American serial killer active in Rochester, New York.
- Dennis Nilsen ?? 22,200. Dennis Andrew Nilsen (born 23 November 1945) is a Scottish serial killer and necrophiliac, also known as the Muswell Hill Murderer and the Kindly Killer, who murdered at least 12 young men in a series of killings committed between 1978 and 1983 in London, England. Convicted of six counts of murder and two of attempted murder at the Old Bailey, Nilsen was sentenced to life imprisonment on 4 November 1983, with a recommendation that he serve a minimum of 25 years. He is currently incarcerated at HMP Full Sutton maximum security prison in Full Sutton in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- Long Island serial killer 22,200. Long Island serial killer (also referred to by media sources as the Gilgo Beach Killer or the Craigslist Ripper) is an unidentified suspected serial killer who is believed to have murdered 10 to 17 people associated with prostitution, over a period of nearly 20 years, and dumped their bodies along the Ocean Parkway, near the remote Long Island, New York beach towns of Gilgo Beach and Oak Beach in Suffolk County, and the area of Jones Beach State Park in Nassau County.
- Dean Corll ?? 18,100. Dean Arnold Corll (December 24, 1939 – August 8, 1973) was an American serial killer who, along with teenaged accomplices David Brooks and Elmer Wayne Henley, Jr., abducted, raped, tortured, and murdered at least 28 boys in a series of killings spanning from 1970 to 1973 in Houston, Texas. The crimes, which became known as the Houston Mass Murders, came to light after Henley fatally shot Corll.
- Rose West ?? 18,100. Rosemary Pauline “Rose” West (née Letts; born 29 November 1953) is a British serial killer, now an inmate at HMP Low Newton, Brasside, Durham, after being convicted of ten murders in 1995. Her husband Fred, who committed suicide in prison while awaiting trial, is believed to have collaborated with her in the torture and murder of at least nine young women between 1973 and 1987, whereas Rose was judged to have murdered her 8-year-old stepdaughter, Charmaine, in 1971. The majority of these murders were committed at the couple’s home in Gloucester, England.
- Yorkshire Ripper ?? 18,100
- Robert Pickton ?? 18,100. Robert William “Willy” Pickton (born October 24, 1949) of Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, is a Canadian serial killer convicted in 2007 of the second-degree murders of six women. He was also charged with the deaths of an additional 20 women, many of them from Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside; however, these charges were stayed by the Crown in 2010. In December 2007, he was sentenced to life in prison, with no possibility of parole for 25 years – the longest sentence then available for murder under Canadian law.
- Levi Bellfield ?? 14,800. Yusuf Rahim (born Levi Rabetts; 17 May 1968), formerly known as Levi Bellfield, is an English serial killer. He was convicted on 25 February 2008 of the murders of Marsha McDonnell and Amelie Delagrange and the attempted murder of Kate Sheedy, and sentenced to life imprisonment. On 23 June 2011, Bellfield was found guilty of the murder of Milly Dowler. On both occasions, the judge recommended that he should never be released. He converted to Islam whilst in prison.
- Peter Tobin ?? 14,800. Peter Britton Tobin (born 27 August 1946) is a convicted Scottish serial killer and sex offender who is currently serving three sentences of life imprisonment with a whole life order at HM Prison Edinburgh for three murders committed between 1991 and 2006.
- Robert Maudsley ?? 14,800
- Robert Black ?? 14,800
- Israel Keyes ?? 14,800
- Wayne Williams ?? 12,100
- Bobbie Joe Long ?? 12,100
- Jack Unterweger ?? 12,100
- Joel Rifkin ?? 12,100
- Dale Cregan ?? 12,100
- Glen Rogers ?? 12,100
- Pedro Lopez ?? 12,100
- Charles Ng ?? 12,100
- Leonard Lake ?? 9,900
- Luis Garavito ?? 9,900
- Smiley Face Killer 9,900
- Tommy Lynn Sells ?? 8,100
- Albert DeSalvo ?? 8,100
- Graham Young ?? 8,100
- Original Night Stalker 8,100
- Beverley Allitt ?? 6,600
- Cary Stayner ?? 6,600. Cary Anthony Stayner (born August 13, 1961) is an American serial killer. Stayner’s early family life was marked by the abduction of his younger brother, Steven, a kidnapping victim of convicted child molester, Kenneth Parnell.
- Keith Jesperson ?? 6,600
- Kenneth Bianchi ?? 6,600
- Herb Baumeister ?? 6,600
- Lee Boyd Malvo ?? 5,400
- John Allen Muhammad ?? 5,400
- Bible John 5,400
- Herbert Mullin ?? 5,400
- William Bonin ?? 5,400
- Richard Trenton Chase ?? 4,400
- Charles Albright ?? 4,400
- John George Haigh ?? 4,400
- Richard Cottingham ?? 3,600
- Lawrence Bittaker ?? 3,600
- Christopher Wilder ?? 3,600
- Jerry Brudos ?? 3,600
- George Chapman ?? 3,600
- Patrick Mackay ?? 3,600
- John Duffy ?? 3,600
- Maury Travis ?? 2,900
- Moses Sithole ?? 2,900
- Robert Napper ?? 2,900
- Donald Harvey ?? 2,900
- Donald Henry Gaskins ?? 2,900. Born: 13 March 1933. Donald Henry “Pee Wee” Gaskins, Jr. was an American serial killer.
- Colin Ireland ?? 2,400. Born 16 March 1954. Colin Ireland was a British serial killer known as the Gay Slayer because his victims were homosexual men. Criminologist David Wilson believed that Ireland was a psychopath. Ireland suffered a severely dysfunctional upbringing.
- Kenneth Erskine ?? 2,400
- Ronald Dominique ?? 2,400. Born: 9 January 1964.
- Anatoly Onoprienko ?? 2,400. Born: 25 July 1959.
- Angelo Buono ?? 2,400. Born: 5 October 1934.
- Donald Neilson ?? 2,400. Born: 1 August 1936.
- Faryion Wardrip ?? 1,900. Born: 6 March 1959.
- Kenneth McDuff ?? 1,900. Born: 21 March 1946.
- Paul John Knowles ?? 1,900. Born: 17 April 1946.
- Angus Sinclair ?? 1,600. Angus Sinclair is a convicted murderer and serial sex offender, who is currently serving two life sentences at HMP Peterhead.
- Roy Norris ?? 1,300. Lawrence Bittaker and Roy Lewis Norris (February 5, 1948) are American serial killers and rapists known as the Tool Box Killers, who together committed the kidnap, rape, torture, and murder of five teenage girls over a period of five months in southern California in 1979.
- Arthur Gary Bishop ?? 1,000. Arthur Gary Bishop (September 29, 1952 – June 10, 1988) was a convicted American child molester and serial killer. He confessed to the murders of five young boys in 1983, as a result of a routine police investigation.
- Randy Steven Kraft ?? 1,000. Randy Steven Kraft (born March 19, 1945) is an American serial killer known as the “Scorecard Killer” and the “Freeway Killer” who committed the rape, torture, mutilation, and murder of a minimum of 16 young men in a series of killings spanning between 1972 and 1983, the majority of which had been committed in California. Kraft is also believed to have committed the rape and murder of up to 51 further boys and young men. He was convicted in May 1989 of murdering 16 victims and is currently incarcerated upon death row at San Quentin State Prison in Marin County, California.
- Wesley Shermantine ?? 880. Born February 24, 1966. The Speed Freak Killers is the name given to serial killer duo Loren Herzog and Wesley Shermantine, together initially convicted of four murders — three jointly — and suspected in the deaths of as many as 72 people in and around San Joaquin County, California. They received the “speed freak” moniker due to their methamphetamine abuse.
- John Bodkin Adams ?? 880. John Bodkin Adams (born 21 January 1899) was a British general practitioner, convicted fraudster and suspected serial killer. Between 1946 and 1956, more than 160 of his patients died in suspicious circumstances. Of these, 132 left him money or items in their wills.
- John Justin Bunting ?? 880. (Born 4 September 1966) is an Australian serial killer from Adelaide, South Australia, currently serving eleven consecutive sentences of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for his role in the murder of 11 victims of the Snowtown murders.
- Heriberto Seda ?? 880. The New York Zodiac Killer – Heriberto “Eddie” Seda (born July 31, 1967) is an American serial killer who struck New York City from 1990 to 1993. Before being caught on June 18, 1996, Seda killed three people and wounded five others (four critically).
- Harvey Carignan ?? 720. Harvey Louis Carignan (born 18 May 1927) is an American serial killer serving a 400-year sentence at the Minnesota Correctional Facility – Faribault for the murders of two women.
The Top 100 Serial Killers by Month of Birth
January – Ronald Dominique (born 9 January 1964); John Bodkin Adams (born 21 January 1899)
February – Roy Lewis Norris (February 5, 1948); Robert Hansen (February 15, 1939); Wesley Shermantine (born February 24, 1966)
March – Ottis Toole (March 5, 1947); Faryion Wardrip (born 6 March 1959); Donald Henry Gaskins (born 13 March 1933); Colin Ireland (born 16 March 1954); Randy Steven Kraft (born March 19, 1945); Kenneth McDuff (born 21 March 1946).
April – John Christie (born 8 April 1899); Paul John Knowles (born 17 April 1946); Steve Wright (born 24 April 1958).
May – Levi Bellfield (born 17 May 1968); Harvey Carignan (born 18 May 1927)
June – Arthur Shawcross (June 6, 1945)
July – Anatoly Onoprienko (25 July 1959); Heriberto Seda (July 31, 1967)
August – Donald Neilson (born 1 August 1936); Cary Stayner (August 13, 1961); Peter Tobin (born 27 August 1946)
September – John Justin Bunting (4 September 1966); Fred West (born 29 September 1941); Arthur Gary Bishop (September 29, 1952)
October – Angelo Buono (born 5 October 1934); Robert Pickton (born October 24, 1949)
November – David Parker Ray (November 6, 1939); Dennis Nilsen (born 23 November 1945); Ted Bundy (born November 24, 1946); Rose West (born 29 November 1953)
December – Dean Corll (December 24, 1939)