For the purposes of this ranking list I considered the following bat manufacturers:
- Gunn & Moore
- Millichamp & Hall
- BAS Vampire
- Screaming Cat
- RNS Larsons
- Hunts County
- New Balance
The normal bat weights that are used by international batsmen range from 2lb 7oz (2 pounds and 7 ounces) to 3 lb, though there is no strict standard regarding bat weights in general. After the new Code was issued by the MCC on 1 October 2017, the maximum dimensions of a cricket bat are as follows: 108mm in width, 67mm in depth (spine) with 40mm edges.
Don Bradman, considered by many to be the greatest batsman of them all, used a bat which was pretty light at only 2lb 3oz. This was a good six ounces less than the average weight of a bat used by a batsman at the international level during his time, which weighed in at 2lb 9oz.
Sachin Tendulkar, on the other hand, used a bat weighing 3lb 4oz, which is a very heavy bat in cricketing terms. Only Lance Klusener (with his SS Zulu) of South Africa used a heavier bat than this at 3lb 6oz.
As much as has been possible I have tried to include large, high quality, images showing grains, willow quality, face, edge & bow shape.
- Gray-Nicolls Legend £999.99. Grade 1+ English Willow. Minimal branding. Said to stem from the top 0.2% of all willow Gray-Nicolls use. Generally 10 or more grains. 35mm edges generally with 59mm spine again generally. Weight trends towards 2lbs 7 ounces. Light pick up. Low density clefts used. 12 piece cane handle.
- Kookaburra Kahuna Pro Khawaja. Rounded Edge – Thickness (34-38mm). Curved Face Profile. Weight Range 2lbs 8 oz – 2lbs 10.5 oz.
- Spartan ST Signature Players Bat £580.74. Premium Players Grade 1 English Willow Handcrafted by the individuals who crafted Sachin’s bats himself. This magnificent players cricket bat is of the finest of qualities and made to the exact specifications that the Little Master used. Take your game to the next level with this imposing weapon of choice and display exceptional power, style and majestic stoke play with the ST Signature finest edition Profile: Full wood profile with magnificently mid balanced shape for ultimate stroke play all round the ground. Handle: Semi oval for ultimate control and power Grip: White chevron players grip Size: SH Weight: 2.9-2.12.
- Spartan MC Legacy Limited Edition £580.74. Super Grade 1 Limited Edition English Willow: Designed in conjunction with Michael Clarke and built to the same specification as the former Australian captain’s own bat. A mid to low profile with original “ducks beak” swell for the driving performance. With its large edges and slight bow enhanced by an imposing full profile and light pick up, The MC Legacy Range is perfect for strokeplay. Mid- Low profile Slight Even bow Light pickup Large 35mm+ edges 12 piece cane handle Light weight (2lb 6oz – 2lb 10oz) Grip: Spartan Wavex.
- Spartan Steel 016 Limited Edition £580.74. Majestic balance and performance for the perfect choice of players stroke play all around the wicket off the front and back foot.
- Salix SLX Finite £595.00. The lighter counterpart to the Pod, the SLX sits at the top of Salix production with the Pod in complexity of shape. With a uniquely blended profile, what appears to be a rounder, traditional shape to the face actually stems from hand shaping modern flatter pressing. An extended low bow leads naturally into the lower driving area. The SLX has a beautiful profile showcasing classic handmaking, underpinned by very advanced manufacturing generating sublime performance. All wrapped up in stunning new etched and embossed fingerprint metallic labelling.
- Gunn & Moore Quinton de Kock Player Edition £650.00. An exact and accurate replica customised to Quinton De Kock’s profile and requirements due to GM’S DMX technology, this Player’s, Limited Edition timber allows cricketers to use the same cricket bat as one of the world’s most explosive batsman. Whether you’re looking to produce elegant strokes through the covers, or those powerful pulls in front of square, this blade is sure to assist your batting.
- TON Platinum Elite Limited Edition £640.00. A beautifully balanced bat made for the timer of the ball with a long hitting zone.
- Millichamp & Hall Pro Hybrid £600.00. Starting weights from 2lb 10oz. Dynamic concanved profile ensures an unbelievable lightweight pickup. Enormous sweeping profile ensuring an outstanding middle.
- MRF AB De Villiers Elite £560.00. 12 piece Saravak Combination Cane Handle for Shock Absorption and Power Hitting. Edges push the limits of the new MCC regulations at 40mm. Full profile with no concaving on the back. Weight starts at 2lb 10oz.
- New Balance TC1260 Limited Edition £731.63. Premium Players Grade 1 English Willow. Mid Sweet Spot. Natural Preparation. Weighing between 2lb 8 ounces & to 2lb 11 ounces. Limited to just 25 produced. Laser etched model designation.
- Newbery Legacy Pro £549.99. Hand crafted from pro grade English willow & starting at just 2lb 7 ounces.
- CA 15000 Player Edition 7 Star £645.00. Mid to low sweet-spot with weight evenly distributed allows a light pick up for the player that plays all around the wicket or on the rise, the bat has very straight grains. This bat has a large sweetspot with minimal concaving making it a big bat yet as light as 2lb 7oz. Regard any CA bat as not knocked in – regardless of manufacturer claims. Players Grade premium English willow.
- PR Exclusive £500.00. Premium English willow. Handcrafted in India. Lightweight pick-up gives good balance.
- Impala Custom 100 £578.58.
Where to buy cricket bats
1 High Street
The Bucks Goat Centre
Old Risborough Road
51 Market Place
127/128 Eton High Street
Pope & Smith (Chelmsford) Ltd
207-208 Moulsham Street
13 South Road