Fixed Broadband Speed by UK City
With over 65 million internet users or over 98% of the population the United Kingdom have the 16th most internet users in the world. The UK also has the highest number of internet users per capita among countries with a population of more than 330,000 people. The UK ranks 49th in the world for fixed broadband speed at 93.34MB/s. This is fully half the speed of fixed broadband in the United States. Birmingham has the fastest fixed broadband of all UK cities overall followed by Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow & Coventry. However in terms of CBD fixed broadband internet speed Manchester is the clear winner. Sheffield & Newcastle have the slowest fixed broadband speeds of all UK cities on average.
Birmingham Fixed Broadband Internet Speed Map
Manchester Fixed Broadband Speed Map
London Fixed Broadband Internet Speed Map
Newcastle Fixed Broadband Speed Map
Major UK Broadband Service Providers
The vast majority of UK broadband customers use one of the Big Four – BT (which includes EE & Plusnet), SKY, Virgin or TalkTalk. Of the 25,230,000 broadband customers in the UK a mere 250,000 or less than 1% are not with one of the Big Four.
|UK Service Providers||Website|
Top 10 Countries By Number Of Internet Users
Around 4.8 billion people are internet users world wide as of 2021. This is over 60% of the world’s population. More than half of all internet users in the world come from just 5 countries – China, India, the United States, Indonesia & Brazil.
- China have just under 1 billion internet users. This number has doubled in the last decade. China have been permanently on the internet since April 20, 1994. China has the 16th fastest fixed broadband in the world at 184.28MB/s.
- India have 778 million internet users. This number has more than doubled in the last five years. India ranks 70th in the world for fixed broadband speed at an average of 58.17MB/s.
- The USA have over 312 million internet users which is more than 96% of the population. This number has doubled in the last twenty years. Today the USA has the 12th fastest fixed broadband in the world at an average of 195.45MB/s.
- Indonesia have 212 million internet users. This number has doubled in the last five years. Indonesia ranks a lowly 116th in the world for average fixed broadband speed at 26.17MB/s.
- Brazil have 160 million internet users. This number has doubled in the last 12 years. Brazil has the 46th fastest fixed broadband internet in the world at an average speed of 100.44MB/s.
- Nigeria have 136 million internet users which is more than any other country in Africa. This number has more than doubled in the last five years. This is more than Egypt, South Africa, Morocco & Algeria combined and represents just under one third of all African internet users. It also means Nigeria have more internet users per capita than any other African country with over 66 in 100 people online today. Nigeria has some of the slowest fixed broadband internet speed with an average of just 17.05MB/s which places it at 146th among all nations.
- Russia have 124 million internet users. This number has doubled in the last eleven years. Russia ranks 51st in the world for fixed broadband speed at 88.97MB/s, firmly in the middle class of nations in this regard.
- Bangladesh have 117 million internet users.
- Japan have 116 million internet users or over 91% of the population. The basis of the internet in Japan dates back to 1984 with the country being one of the earlier uptakers of the internet en-masse into the 1990s. Japan currently ranks 18th in the world for fixed broadband speed at an average of 176.48MB/s.
- Pakistan have 103 million internet users. Pakistan saw the introduction of an online dial-up service to the internet in 1995.
Most popular social networks by number of Monthly active users 2021
- Facebook 2,797,000,000. Daily active users sits at 1,845,000,000. Facebook has 38,000,000 active monthly users in the United Kingdom. 1,100,000,000 Facebook users are English speakers. Men between the ages of 25 to 34, with 18.8%, make up the single biggest demographic of Facebook users. Male users make up around 57% of Facebook users. This gender gap globally is reversed in the United States where 75% of adult women but only 63% of men are active users of Facebook. The most liked Facebook page is the Facebook App page which has been liked by 209 million users. 73% of all Facebook users are daily users of the social network. 81% of Facebook users only use the platform via a mobile device. Women are more likely than men to click on a Facebook ad (doing so about 50% more often). Women also like more and comment a lot more than men overall. Women between the ages of 45 & 64 are the most likely of all Facebook users to click on an ad. Facebook Pages with less than 10,000 followers have a higher interaction rate than pages with more than 10,000 followers. Facebook revenue stood at almost $86 billion in 2020 which means that Facebook make just over $30 in revenue for each and every active monthly user over the course of a full year. So whilst Facebook is a free to use service they make about $30 out of each user provided you are active on the website at least once per month for a year. The cost of a single click to an advertiser stood at an average of $0.39 in 2020. Almost all of Facebook’s revenue comes from advertising.
- Youtube 2,291,000,000. Revenue for 2020 stood at around $20 billion which means every active user was monetized to the tune of $8.73 per year. This number trails Facebook, Instagram and even Twitter & considering the massive infrastructure required to host the 400PB of Youtube videos makes the social video sharing site one of the least likely to ever be profitable.
- Whatsapp 2,000,000,000. The app generated an estimated $5.5 billion in revenue in 2020 which is a puny $2.75 per active user for the year.
- Facebook Messenger 1,300,000,000. Refer to Facebook.
- Instagram 1,287,000,000. Instagram generated at least $13.9 billion in 2020 which is around $10.50 per active user per year. Whilst lagging behind the Facebook figure of $30 it towards over many other social networking websites.
- WeChat 1,225,000,000. The app generated around $16.8 billion in revenue in 2020 which is $13.44 per active user per year.
- TikTok 800,000,000. They made around $1.2 billion in 2020 which means they’re generating just $1.50 per active user per year.
- QQ 639,000,000. As part of Tencent which also owns WeChat revenue is difficult to dechiper for this app alone.
- Telegram 550,000,000. Not much official to go on in terms of revenue.
- Reddit 430,000,000. Monthly pageviews 30 billion or just under 70 pages per user. Reddit made $170 million in revenue in 2020 which is just $0.40 per user per year. This is 75 times less per active monthly user than Facebook.
- Snapchat 293,000,000
- Twitter 206,000,000. Twitter did $3.7 billion in revenue in 2020 which means just under $18 per active user per year.
Number of gaming apps in the Google Play Store 1st quarter 2021