WordPress is a free open-source content management system based on PHP and MySQL. WordPress is installed on a web server that is either part of an Internet hosting service or a network host in its own right. The first case may be a service like WordPress.com, for example, and the second case could be a computer running the software package WordPress.org. Features include a plugins and templates. WordPress was used by more than 27.5% of the top 10 million websites in February 2017. WordPress is the most popular website management system on the Web, supporting over 60 million websites.
WordPress was released on May 27, 2003, by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. WordPress is released under the GPLv2 (or later) license from the Free Software Foundation.
Native applications exist for WebOS, Android, iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), Windows Phone, and BlackBerry. WordPress also features integrated link management; a search engine–friendly, clean permalink structure; the ability to assign multiple categories to posts; and support for tagging of posts.
WordPress (Best for Beginners)
WordPress is the world’s most popular content management system. Over 60 millions websites today are powered by WordPress. It is also used on over 40% of CMS-based websites – leading the market of DIY CMS websites by a mile.
Here’s why WordPress is so popular:
- Easy to Install – Web hosting companies offer automated WordPress installations. You can get a brand website online in under five minutes.
- Customizable – WordPress has more plug-ins, themes and other customizations than any other CMS. Because of it’s huge popularity, loads of third-party developers make free or cheap new tools.
- Free– WordPress is free to use. There are also thousands of free plug-ins and themes.
- Community Support – If you do experience issues you can easily get help from the millions already using it. A support forum can answer almost any question you might have, usually in minutes – for free.
For beginners WordPress is more often than not the best platform to build a site.
25 Most Useful WordPress Plugins
- Ninja Forms by Ninja Forms – fast becoming the most popular form builder around.
- Limit Login Attempts by Johan Eenfeldt blocks an Internet address from making further attempts after a specified limit on retries has been reached, making a brute-force attack difficult or impossible.
- WooCommerce by WooThemes/Automattic – free eCommerce plugin that allows you to sell anything, beautifully. Built to integrate seamlessly with WordPress, WooCommerce is the world’s favorite eCommerce solution that gives both store owners and developers complete control. Also consider WooCommerce Compare; PayPal Express Checkout for WooCommerce; WooCommerce Stripe Payment Gateway; WooCommerce PayPal Powered by Braintree; WooCommerce Wishlist; Storefront Sticky Add to Cart; Storefront Product Sharing & Storefront Product Pagination.
- ManageWP Worker By ManageWP helps you save time and nerves by automating your workflow, so you could focus on things that matter. It is fast, secure and free for an unlimited number of websites.
- All-in-One WP Migration By ServMask allows you to export your database, media files, plugins, and themes.
- Really Simple SSL By Rogier Lankhorst automatically detects your settings and configures your website to run over https. To keep it lightweight, the options are kept to a minimum. The entire site will move to SSL.
- WP Smush Pro by WPMU DEV – the easiest and best-performing image compression plugin for WordPress.
- MailChimp for WordPress By ibericode helps you add more subscribers to your MailChimp lists using various methods. You can create good looking opt-in forms or integrate with any other form on your site, like your comment, contact or checkout form.
- WP Super Cache By Automattic generates static html files from your dynamic WordPress blog. After a html file is generated your webserver will serve that file instead of processing the comparatively heavier and more expensive WordPress PHP scripts.
- Advanced Custom Fields By Elliot Condon – solution for any WordPress website which needs more flexible data like other content management systems.
- Kirki By Aristeides Stathopoulos a Toolkit allowing WordPress developers to use the Customizer and take advantage of its advanced features and flexibility by abstracting the code and making it easier for everyone to create beautiful and meaningful user experiences.
- WP-Optimize By David Anderson, Ruhani Rabin, Team Updraft tool for automatically cleaning your WordPress database so that it runs at maximum efficiency.
- CMB2 By WebDevStudios – a developer’s toolkit for building metaboxes, custom fields, and forms for WordPress.
- Max Mega Menu by Tom Hemsley
Create Horizontal Mega Menus
Hover Intent, Hover or Click event to open sub menus
Built in CSS3 transitions
Sub Menu Alignment options
Supports Flyout (traditional) or Mega Menu sub menu styles
Supports multiple menus each with their own configuration
- Redirection By John Godley – plugin to manage 301 redirections, keep track of 404 errors.
- All In One WP Security and Firewall By Tips and Tricks HQ, Peter, Ruhul, Ivy – reduces security risk by checking for vulnerabilities, and by implementing and enforcing the latest recommended WordPress security practices and techniques.
- AMP By Automattic – adds support for the Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) Project, which is an an open source initiative that aims to provide mobile optimised content that can load instantly everywhere.
- Yoast SEO Premium by Yoast (formerly known as WordPress SEO by Yoast) adds some features to the Yoast SEO plugin and gives you access to premium support. Including: A redirect manager; Multiple focus keywords; Social previews; Internal linking; Insights & Premium support.
- Contact Form 7 By Takayuki Miyoshi can manage multiple contact forms, plus you can customise the form and the mail content flexibly with simple markup. The form supports Ajax-powered submitting, CAPTCHA, Akismet spam filtering and so on.
- Tawk.to Live Chat By Tawkto – a 100% FREE live chat app that lets you monitor and chat with visitors on your WordPress site.
- Google Captcha (reCAPTCHA) By BestWebSoft an effective security solution that protects your WordPress website forms from spam entries while letting real people pass through with ease. It can be used for login, registration, password recovery, comments, popular contact forms, and other.
- Share Buttons by AddToAny helps people share your posts and pages to any service, such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Reddit, and over 100 more sharing and social media sites & apps.
- Google Analytics By WebKinder – Enable Google Analytics on all pages without tracking your own visits. You can exclude any logged in user as well as ignore a device completely by setting a cookie.
- PDF Embedder By Dan Lester – Upload PDFs and embed them straight into your site – just like adding images! PDFs will be automatically sized to their natural size and shape (or just fill the width available if they are too big).
- WooCommerce Quick View by YITHEMES – Customers opening a quick view window are more likely to buy the product they are viewing because they do not have to wait for page loading and because they do not have to surf back and forth among the pages to find the products they are interested in.
Most Common WordPress SEO related Searches in the UK
wordpress seo plugin
best seo plugin for wordpress
seo for wordpress
yoast seo wordpress
seo plugin wordpress
best wordpress seo plugin
wordpress seo tips
seo wordpress plugin
wordpress seo yoast
best seo plugin for wordpress 2016
wordpress seo by yoast
seo plugin for wordpress
best wordpress seo plugin 2016
seo on wordpress
best seo for wordpress
wordpress seo theme
best seo wordpress plugin
wordpress yoast seo
best wordpress seo
how to seo wordpress
seo title wordpress
wordpress tags seo
yoast wordpress seo
seo in wordpress
best seo plugin wordpress
seo wordpress tips
wordpress seo tutorial
improving seo on wordpress
seo wordpress plugins 2016
wordpress best seo plugin
yoast wordpress seo settings
wordpress plugin yoast seo
wordpress seo plugin 2016
top 10 seo plugins for wordpress
top seo plugins for wordpress 2015
wordpress seo url
seo plugins for wordpress 2016
simple seo wordpress
yoast wordpress seo plugin v1 7.4
wordpress simple seo
wordpress seo meta tags
seo basics wordpress
tags seo wordpress
wordpress seo by yoast plugin
wordpress seo tools
seo yoast wordpress plugin
wordpress seo checklist
how to use seo in wordpress
best free seo plugin for wordpress
tutorial seo wordpress
theme wordpress seo
what is wordpress seo
wordpress tags and seo
yoast seo wordpress plugin
tags wordpress seo
wordpress plugin seo yoast
powered by wordpress seo
best seo plugin for wordpress 2015
wordpress best seo plugin 2016
best seo wordpress plugin 2016
seo en wordpress
seo wordpress tutorial
wordpress seo title tag
seo wordpress tags
wordpress title seo
seo wordpress guide
all in seo wordpress
wordpress seo 2016
wordpress com seo
yoast seo plugin wordpress
wordpress seo expert
wordpress and seo
improve seo wordpress
best seo wordpress
seo basics for wordpress
wordpress seo google analytics
wordpress simple seo plugin
seo tools wordpress
yoast wordpress seo premium
wordpress seo company
seo friendly wordpress
best plugin seo wordpress
seo yoast plugin wordpress