is a free open-source content management system based on PHP and MySQL. is installed on a web server that is either part of an Internet hosting service or a network host in its own right. The first case may be a service like .com, for example, and the second case could be a computer running the software package .org. Features include a plugins and templates. was used by more than 27.5% of the top 10 million websites in February 2017. is the most popular website management system on the Web, supporting over 60 million websites.
was released on May 27, 2003, by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. is released under the GPLv2 (or later) license from the Free Software Foundation.
Native applications exist for WebOS, Android, iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), Windows Phone, and BlackBerry. also features integrated link management; a search engine–friendly, clean permalink structure; the ability to assign multiple categories to posts; and support for tagging of posts.
(Best for Beginners)
is the world’s most popular content management system. Over 60 millions websites today are powered by . It is also used on over 40% of CMS-based websites – leading the market of DIY CMS websites by a mile.
Here’s why is so popular:
- Easy to Install – Web hosting companies offer automated installations. You can get a brand website online in under five minutes.
- Customizable – has more plug-ins, themes and other customizations than any other CMS. Because of it’s huge popularity, loads of third-party developers make free or cheap new tools.
- Free– is free to use. There are also thousands of free plug-ins and themes.
- Community Support – If you do experience issues you can easily get help from the millions already using it. A support forum can answer almost any question you might have, usually in minutes – for free.
For beginners is more often than not the best platform to build a site.
25 Most Useful Plugins
- Ninja Forms by Ninja Forms – fast becoming the most popular form builder around.
- Limit Login Attempts by Johan Eenfeldt blocks an Internet address from making further attempts after a specified limit on retries has been reached, making a brute-force attack difficult or impossible.
- WooCommerce by WooThemes/Automattic – free eCommerce plugin that allows you to sell anything, beautifully. Built to integrate seamlessly with , WooCommerce is the world’s favorite eCommerce solution that gives both store owners and developers complete control. Also consider WooCommerce Compare; PayPal Express Checkout for WooCommerce; WooCommerce Stripe Payment Gateway; WooCommerce PayPal Powered by Braintree; WooCommerce Wishlist; Storefront Sticky Add to Cart; Storefront Product Sharing & Storefront Product Pagination.
- ManageWP Worker By ManageWP helps you save time and nerves by automating your workflow, so you could focus on things that matter. It is fast, secure and free for an unlimited number of websites.
- All-in-One WP Migration By ServMask allows you to export your database, media files, plugins, and themes.
- Really Simple SSL By Rogier Lankhorst automatically detects your settings and configures your website to run over https. To keep it lightweight, the options are kept to a minimum. The entire site will move to SSL.
- WP Smush Pro by WPMU DEV – the easiest and best-performing image compression plugin for .
- MailChimp for By ibericode helps you add more subscribers to your MailChimp lists using various methods. You can create good looking opt-in forms or integrate with any other form on your site, like your comment, contact or checkout form.
- WP Super Cache By Automattic generates static html files from your dynamic blog. After a html file is generated your webserver will serve that file instead of processing the comparatively heavier and more expensive PHP scripts.
- Advanced Custom Fields By Elliot Condon – solution for any website which needs more flexible data like other content management systems.
- Kirki By Aristeides Stathopoulos a Toolkit allowing developers to use the Customizer and take advantage of its advanced features and flexibility by abstracting the code and making it easier for everyone to create beautiful and meaningful user experiences.
- WP-Optimize By David Anderson, Ruhani Rabin, Team Updraft tool for automatically cleaning your database so that it runs at maximum efficiency.
- CMB2 By WebDevStudios – a developer’s toolkit for building metaboxes, custom fields, and forms for .
- Max Mega Menu by Tom Hemsley
Create Horizontal Mega Menus
Hover Intent, Hover or Click event to open sub menus
Built in CSS3 transitions
Sub Menu Alignment options
Supports Flyout (traditional) or Mega Menu sub menu styles
Supports multiple menus each with their own configuration
- Redirection By John Godley – plugin to manage 301 redirections, keep track of 404 errors.
- All In One WP Security and Firewall By Tips and Tricks HQ, Peter, Ruhul, Ivy – reduces security risk by checking for vulnerabilities, and by implementing and enforcing the latest recommended security practices and techniques.
- AMP By Automattic – adds support for the Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) Project, which is an an open source initiative that aims to provide mobile optimised content that can load instantly everywhere.
- Yoast SEO Premium by Yoast (formerly known as SEO by Yoast) adds some features to the Yoast SEO plugin and gives you access to premium support. Including: A redirect manager; Multiple focus keywords; Social previews; Internal linking; Insights & Premium support.
- Contact Form 7 By Takayuki Miyoshi can manage multiple contact forms, plus you can customise the form and the mail content flexibly with simple markup. The form supports Ajax-powered submitting, CAPTCHA, Akismet spam filtering and so on.
- Tawk.to Live Chat By Tawkto – a 100% FREE live chat app that lets you monitor and chat with visitors on your site.
- Google Captcha (reCAPTCHA) By BestWebSoft an effective security solution that protects your website forms from spam entries while letting real people pass through with ease. It can be used for login, registration, password recovery, comments, popular contact forms, and other.
- Share Buttons by AddToAny helps people share your posts and pages to any service, such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Reddit, and over 100 more sharing and social media sites & apps.
- Google Analytics By WebKinder – Enable Google Analytics on all pages without tracking your own visits. You can exclude any logged in user as well as ignore a device completely by setting a cookie.
- PDF Embedder By Dan Lester – Upload PDFs and embed them straight into your site – just like adding images! PDFs will be automatically sized to their natural size and shape (or just fill the width available if they are too big).
- WooCommerce Quick View by YITHEMES – Customers opening a quick view window are more likely to buy the product they are viewing because they do not have to wait for page loading and because they do not have to surf back and forth among the pages to find the products they are interested in.