Having had a spate of inquiries from wedding industry vendors over the last few weeks I thought further investigation into the sector from an SEO perspective was warranted.
In England & Wales approximately £10 billion is spent on 277,777 weddings every single year. In 2012 number of marriages was 262,240 & in 2011 it was 249,133. This compares to 2,400,000 million weddings per year in the United States at a total cost of $72 billion.
The average cost of a Japanese wedding is $93,750.00 vs. $55,310.40 in Britain.
The number of civil ceremonies in England & Wales in 2012 was 184,320 or 70% of all weddings. The number of religious ceremonies that year was just 77,910.
The number of opposite sex cohabiting couples increased from 2.1 million in 2002 to 2.9 million in 2012. However research indicates 40% of these cohabiting couples will marry within 5 years. In America 75% of couples live together before they get married.
- 13% of American engagements don’t lead to a wedding.
- 1% of American opposite sex marriage proposals are made by women.
- 52% of American weddings take place in the afternoon; 33% at night & 15% in the morning.
- $29,858 is the average cost of an opposite sex American wedding.
- The average amount of wedding guests at an American wedding is 165.
- Over 90% of couples register for wedding gifts.
- The average now spent on a wedding dress/bridal gown for an American wedding is $1,281.
- One brand alone accounts for fully 20% of all American wedding dress/bridal-gown sales. That’s revenue of 20% of $1,281*2,400,000 = $614,880,000.00!
- More than 25% of couples now pick cupcakes as their wedding cake.
- 64% of American weddings have a flower girl present.
- 64% of British brides pay for their hair & make-up to be done professionally.
- The average age at marriage was 36.5 years for men and 34.0 years for women in 2012 in England & Wales.
- The average cost of a honeymoon by UK couples is now around £3,725.00. The average length of a honeymoon is currently 7 days.
- On average American honeymoon is booked 4 months before the nuptials.
- 9% of American newlyweds take cruises as honeymoons.
- 65% of American honeymoons are taken to foreign locations.
- The male General Marriage Rate in 2012 was 23.2 men marrying/1,000 unmarried men aged over 16, up from 22.1 in 2011 but down from 27.4 in 2002.
The average age of a man who is getting married for the first time in the United Kingdom is 33.1 years old. It is 30.0 for a woman.
|Keyword||Monthly Searches||CPC||Gross Value|
|wedding venues near me||22,200||£1.07||£23,754.00|
|wedding venues in essex||3,600||£3.38||£12,168.00|
|wedding venues essex||2,900||£3.11||£9,019.00|
|wedding venues london||2,900||£1.97||£5,713.00|
|wedding reception venues||3,600||£1.48||£5,328.00|
|barn wedding venues||3,600||£1.38||£4,968.00|
|wedding venues surrey||1,900||£2.40||£4,560.00|
|wedding venues in kent||2,400||£1.70||£4,080.00|
|cheap wedding venues||4,400||£0.92||£4,048.00|
|wedding guest book||9,900||£0.39||£3,861.00|
|asian wedding venues||1,900||£1.90||£3,610.00|
|wedding venues in surrey||1,300||£2.37||£3,081.00|
10 Most Popular First Dance Songs at Weddings
1. “Amazed,” Lonestar
2. “My First My Last My Everything” Barry White
3. “As Time Goes By,” Dooley Wilson
4. “A Thousand Years,” Christina Perri (from Twilight: Breaking Dawn)
5. “At Last,” Etta James
6. “Better Together,” Jack Johnson
7. “By Your Side,” Sade
8. “Can’t Help Falling In Love,” Elvis Presley
9. “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You,” Frankie Valli or Lauryn Hill
10. “Come Rain or Come Shine,” Ray Charles
Divorce & Marriage Longevity Facts in England & Wales
- 34% of marriages will end in divorce within 20 years.
- 15% of marriages will reach a 60th wedding anniversary.
- The life expectancy for a marriage in England and Wales is 32 years.
Most Expensive Divorces
- Madonna and Guy Ritchie. $92 million from her to him.
- Sumner and Phyllis Redstone – she got awarded $100 million.
- Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving – she got $100 million for 4 years of marriage.
- Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren – she got $100 million or 20c per woman he cheated on her with.
- Greg Norman and Laura Andrassy – she took him for $103 million.
- Neil Diamond and Marcia Murphey – she took him for $150 million.
- Michael and Juanita Jordan – she got $168 million in the divorce settlement.
- Michael and Maya Polsky – she got $184 million in the settlement.
- Roman and Irina Abramovich – she was awarded $300 million in the divorce settlement.
- Robert and Sheila Johnson – she got $400 million then married the judge who presided over her divorce case. Hmm..
- Craig and Wendy McCaw – she picked up $460 million in the settlement.
- Stephen and Elaine Wynn – she got $740 million after their 2009 divorce.
- Adnan and Soraya Khashoggi – $874 million was her take despite mothering a child with another man during the marriage.
- Bernie and Slavica Eccelstone – $1.2 billion were her earnings from 24 years of rather bizarre marriage.
- Rupert and Anna Murdoch – she took in $1.7 billion from the divorce settlement in 2009 – he remarried 17 days later.
- Alec & Jocelyn Wildenstein’s divorce cost $2.5 billion.
- Dmitry & Elena Rybolovleva – divorce settlement of a mammoth $4.5 billion.
- Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas‘ 2000 wedding cost $1,500,000.00. Still married.
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes‘ 2006 wedding cost $2,000,000.00 as did Christina Aguilera and Jordan Bratman’s 2005 celebration. TomKat divorced in 2012. Christina Aguilera divorced in 2011.
- Elizabeth Hurley & Arun Nayar’s 2007 wedding cost $2,500,000.00. They divorced in 2011.
- Paul McCartney & Heather Mills’ 2002 wedding cost $3,000,000.00. They separated in 2006 & divorced acrimoniously in 2008.
- Liza Minnelli & David Gest’s 2002 wedding cost $3,500,000.00. They divorced in 2007.
- Elizabeth Taylor & Larry Fortensky’s 1991 wedding cost $4,000,000.00 in inflation adjusted dollars. They divorced in 1996.
- Chelsea Clinton & Marc Mezvinsky’s 2010 wedding cost $5,000,000.00. Still married.
- Wayne Rooney & Coleen McLoughlin’s 2008 wedding cost $8,000,000.00. Prostitute Helen Wood claims Rooney paid for a threesome with her and Jennifer Thompson whilst Coleen was five months pregnant. His solicitors unsuccessfully tried to bury the claims in August 2010. Still married.
- Prince William & Kate Middleton’s wedding cost $34,000,000.00. Still married.
- Vanisha Mittal & Amit Bhatia’s 2005 wedding cost $78,000,000.00. Vanisha Mittal Bhatia filed for divorce in 2013.
- Prince Charles & Lady Diana’s 1981 wedding cost $110,000,000.00 in inflation adjusted dollars. Divorced in 1996.
When Do Americans Get Married
Top Honeymoon Destinations for American Couples
The Cayman Islands 9.5%
British Virgin Islands 5%
US Virgin Islands 5%
Puerto Rico 3.8%
Wedding Spending by Type
Wedding Reception 28.3%
Wedding Planner or Consultant 15.0%
Wedding Rings 11.5%
Wedding Photography/Video 6.6%
Wedding Dress 6.1%
Wedding Flowers 4.6%
Brides Maids Dresses & Accessories 4.5%
Groom’s Parties Dress 3.2%
Wedding Invitations 2.8%
Gifts for Brides Maids 2.1%
Mother of the bride accessories 1.7%
Wedding Veil 1.6%
Clergy/ceremony fees 1.2%
Vehicle Hire 0.9%
Groom’s clothing 0.8%
According to the Association of Bridal Consultants
In 2012, 7,037 civil partnerships were formed in England & Wales by same-sex couples.
Online Market for Wedding Related Products & Services in the United Kingdom
Competitive Landscape [wedding dress] average cost is £913.00
Justin Alexander Bridal
Plan Your Perfect Wedding
Competitive Landscape [wedding venues] – average cost is £1,517.00
This Is Funky
One Great George Street
You & Your Wedding